But the bacon is not the only star of this sandwich. The mashed sweet potato spread with lime juice and cumin hits all the flavor spots: sweet, tangy, and a little spicy. Same goes for the spinach-cilantro mixture, which, by the way, is a great way to sneak a whole lotta spinach into one little meal.
Makes 3 sandwiches
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3-4 C baby spinach
- 1 big handful cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 ground cumin, divided
- 5 oz Upton's Naturals Bacon Seitan
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Vegan sandwich bread of your choice, toasted very lightly
- Place the potato in a saucepan filled with salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until potato is tender enough to mash easily.
- Meanwhile, place the spinach, cilantro, garlic and juice from half of the lime in a food processor. Pulse until the spinach cilantro mix is finely minced. Add a tablespoon or two of water if necessary. Stir in 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp cumin. Set aside.
- Mash the sweet potato in a small bowl with the other half of the lime and the remaining salt & cumin.
- Spread the potato mixture on the bread, and layer with the spinach mixture, bacon seitan, and tomato. War the sandwich in a panini press, on a grill pan, or in a toaster or conventional oven until the bread is toasted to your liking.