Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- 2 large zucchini
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green pepper, finely diced
- 1 package (8 oz.) Upton's Naturals Ground-style Seitan
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup tomato basil pasta sauce
- vegan mozzarella, to top
- vegan Parmesan, to top (optional)
- sea salt, to top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onions with salt and pepper until translucent. Add the garlic, green peppers, mushrooms, and seitan.
- Cook for about ten minutes until the crumbles are brown. Add the basil, parsley, and oregano and keep cooking for another two minutes.
- Cut the zucchini in about one inch pieces. Using a small spoon or melon baller, scoop out the insides of the zucchini being careful not to take out the bottom.
- Fill the zucchini with the crumble mixture and top with pasta sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan.
- On a lightly oiled cookie sheet, bake zucchini cups for 20 minutes. When done, top with a bit of sea salt.