Here's another tasty recipe from one of our Chicago Vegan Chef Showdown contestants, Sarah McGowan! Rombi con Salsiccia, otherwise known as Rombi Pasta with Upton’s Naturals Italian Sausage-Style Seitan.
- 1 package Upton’s Italian Sausage-Style Seitan, diced
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, or two cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (or to taste)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1-pound package rombi pasta (or any wide, flat pasta shape)
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large, heavy pot. Sauté seitan over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer seitan to a bowl and add 2 more tablespoons oil to the pot. Add onions and sauté until tender and brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1 cup chopped basil, oregano and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Momentarily turn off heat; stir in wine, turn heat back on and cook until almost absorbed, about 4 minutes. Add seitan and crushed tomatoes (including liquid). Cover and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 25 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, crushed red peppers (if using) and remaining 2 tablespoons of oil; cover and simmer another 15 minutes.
(Sauce can be made 1 day ahead. If doing so, chill uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling, salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain well; return to pot. (You can pre-heat your serving dish by placing it under the strainer when you drain the pasta.) Pour sauce over pasta; toss to coat. Add remaining 1/2 cup chopped basil; toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer pasta to serving dish. Serves 8 to 10 as an entree.