Veganized and adapted from The South American Table
Masa (Dough) Ingredients:
- 4 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C Earth Balance, cut in pieces
- 1/4 C all-vegetable shortening (Spectrum)
- 3/4 C warm almond milk (or non-dairy milk)
Masa (Dough) Directions:
- In a food processor, put the flour, salt, and baking powder and with a fitted steel blade pulse for 5 seconds. Add the shortening and Earth Balance and process until the mixture looks like coarse meal, about 15 seconds.
- While the machine is running, pour the milk through the feed tube in a steady stream and process until the dough almost comes together into a ball.
- Remove from bowl and knead a few times. Let rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare pino (Seitan filling). Roll dough into a long log and cut into 10-12 pieces.
Relleno (Filling) Ingredients:
- 1 package Upton's Naturals Ground Seitan
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 C vegetable broth1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 12 pitted black olives
- 1/4 C seedless black raisin, soaked for 5 minutes and drained
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan and sauté onions for 5-7 minutes, until transparent. Add Seitan and garlic and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add seasonings and cook for 3 more minutes. Add vegetable broth and simmer until liquid almost evaporates (5 minutes). Add arrowroot powder to Seitan mixture and cook until mixture thickens.
- Take one piece of dough and roll into a 6-inch circle. Add 1-1 1/2 Tablespoons of Seitan filling. Add a few raisins and one black olive.
- Take one side of the dough and bring to the front side of dough to enclose the filling, sealing the ends and folding the excess dough and sealing upwards.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- "Egg" wash over the empanadas: 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder with 2 tablespoons water. Mix well and brush over the tops of each empanada.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and turn each empanada over and bake on the opposite side for 5 minutes. This is will brown the tops a little.