Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stuffed Portobello Seitan Burger

Today's submission is an adaptation of a recipe submitted by Matt "the funisher" Franzen via email. Thanks, Matt! He says, "I just became a vegetarian and your Seitan is stacked up in my fridge. It basically rescued me from eating meat again! Just when i was about to cave in I discovered how great your products taste and am now totally satisfied with my vegetarian lifestyle. Thanks Uptons! I thought I would share a recipe with you that I first used your Seitan with. It was at a BBQ and even the meat eaters thought it was great!! Totally original recipe from my brain!"

Ingredients:
  • 1 package Upton's Naturals Italian Seitan
  • portobello mushroom
  • olive oil or grapeseed oil
  • sherry
  • minced garlic
  • tomato
  • onion
  • cheese (optional - we like Daiya or Follow Your Heart vegan varieties)
  • toasted bun

Directions:
  1. Take a portobello mushroom cap and brush on olive oil or grapeseed oil. Then pour a small amount of sherry into the portobello itself allowing it to soak up.
  2. Stuff Upton's  Naturals Italian Seitan into the portobello mushroom with minced garlic, and top with a thin slice of tomato, onion, and optional cheese.
  3. Grill until bubbling and juicy.
  4. Place on a toasted bun. I used an onion poppy seed bun. Beats most burgers that I have had and is completely delicious.