Submitted by Brandon, a contestant in the Upton's Naturals-sponsored Iron Chef Seitan contest in Minneapolis benefiting Animal Rights Coalition.
(Photo courtesy of bettyminx)
A simple, filling, yet summery dish. Though this version of the dish is pretty mild, you should feel free to add extra cayenne and make it as hot as you'd like.
Tomato Topping Ingredients:
- 2 cups Roughly chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove Minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- ½ tsp Sea salt
Tomato Topping Directions:
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl, let cool.
Seitan Ingredients, where the magic happens:
- 1 Package Upton's Naturals Italian Sausage-Style Seitan
- ½ Medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, cut in to strips.
- 1 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Tamari sauce
- 1 Tbsp Lime juice
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicier)
- Put the olive oil in a skillet and sauté the onions over medium-high heat until transparent.
- Add in red peppers and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the seitan and keep going until it's warm, about 3 more minutes.
- Add in the tamari, lime and pepper and heat until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- 1 tube Polenta, cut in to discs (about 8-12, depending on how many you're serving)
- 2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Heat up a skillet and add in ½ the olive oil, sauté ½ of the polenta discs for 5 minutes, flip, and sauté 4-5 minutes more.
- Repeat for the remaining polenta.
- Large avocado
- Fresh basil leaves
- Put 2 discs polenta on a plate, cover with some of the seitan, then tomato salsa.
- Garnish with a slice of avocado and a couple leaves of basil.
- Serve right away.