Miso's savory fermented character makes this stew complex and satisfying. It's awesome for chilly nights. Serves four.
- 1 package of Upton's Naturals Traditional Seitan
- 1/4 C minced shallots
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Earth Balance margarine
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 C sliced carrots
- 1 C red wine
- 2 C of vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp miso
- 2 Tbsp flour whisked into 1 C of cold water
- 2 pinches black pepper
- Mashed potatoes or creamy polenta to serve
- Sauté shallots and garlic in margarine at medium high heat for 3 minutes in a dutch oven.
- Next, add mushrooms, carrots, Seitan, salt and 1⁄2 the pepper and continue to sauté for 3-5 more minutes. Brown bits should be sticking to the pot add the wine and use your spoon or spatula to dislodge them. Allow sauce to reduce for five minutes.
- Add miso, vegetable broth and reduce heat. Allow stew to simmer until carrots are tender and sauce has reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
- Add flour slurry and stir to incorporate. Cook for five more minutes, stirring constantly the thicker consistency can cause it to stick.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or polenta.