This stroganoff gets its creaminess from creamy homemade cashew cream rather than sour cream which makes it extra velvety and cholesterol free.
- 1 package Upton's Naturals Traditional Seitan
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms
- 1 C vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Your choice of pasta
Cashew Cream Ingredients:
- 1 C raw unsalted cashews
- 1⁄2 C of water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the onion and sauté for five minutes, or until the onion is clear.
- Add mushrooms and Seitan, tamari and a pinch of pepper and continue to sauté until mushrooms soften and Seitan browns.
- Add tomato paste, incorporate and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add broth and paprika, second pinch of pepper and reduce heat and allow to simmer for ten minutes.
- During this time combine cashew cream ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- After stroganoff has had a chance to simmer add cashew cream. Adjust seasonings to taste and add broth to thin if it's too thick for your taste.
- Spoon liberally over pasta and enjoy.